Sports jacket, corduroys, red tie.
A voice in Belfast middle-class
Proclaims the Marxist line of '38.
A plump young man, moustached,
Defines the issue of the time.
'Some want conscription' - pause -
'But others are of military age.'
'Who's that?' I ask. Boyd whispers:
'Another John - surname's Hewitt.'
I'll pass him on Stranmillis Road.
'Hello,' he'll say, abrupt and shy,
Museum man not yet in coventry.
One day he bids me call him John,
Asks me to his Mount Charles flat.
He's not a man who seeks
Confessions, drunk alliances,
The praise of coteries,
lounge bar politics.
We rarely write or phone
To bridge the Irish Sea.
He and McFadden tried to break
The mould of bigotry.
Last met in '84, John bearded,
Frail, eye-troubled, stick in hand,
Snug in the Châlet d'or.
We chat of friends, our craft,
The temper of the local streets.
Talk done, I watch him walk away,
Admire his stubborn gait.
- Robert Greacen .

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.